WHY ENVY PREVENTS TRUE FRIENDSHIP

 When in my quiet moments I look back on my life I realize with joy that, despite the obstacles, I have always managed to maintain a balance. Every time I had to face a storm, instead of wasting time envying those who lived more peacefully, I invested all my strength in finding the necessary resources to survive the downpour. Although in my early youth I sometimes envied friends who had less severe parents, in adulthood I became convinced that there were few lives as splendid as mine. Even remembering my very strict father, I knew that I would not change him for any other father in the world; thanks to him I was able to live an orderly life. In Latin (invidere) means to look at; in other words, to look more at others than at what we can do to improve what needs to be improved in ourselves. Unfortunately, looking so stubbornly at what others possess usually generates an aversion that ends up unfailingly in aggression. Not only does envying others not yield any positive results, but it transmits to those close to us a negative energy that is difficult to hide. In other words, our envy shines through our gaze; Our eyes lose their sweetness and their light. A better option would be to invest our energy in analyzing our shortcomings and overcoming them, and letting the rest of the world go their own way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS TODAY’S MEANING OF THE WORD LONELINESS?

  Describing old age as the age of loneliness has become a common saying in the times in which we live. It is true that our last life stage ...