THIS IS THE MEANING OF MY LIFE


Although I always liked to read various literary genres, lately I became immersed exclusively in texts about the meaning of life. Perhaps the years that flow so fast induced me not to waste any more time and elaborate a meaning of life of my own. Almost all the texts that came my way reached a similar conclusion: be honest, have compassion, and be generous. It is true that there is not much more to conceive about the meaning of a life based on ethics and morality. Yet, for some reason, these well-known truths did not seem to be enough for me. Finally, last Sunday I had the opportunity to discover what the meaning of my life really Is. As every weekend I went down to the beach, and when I ran into the young Argentine guy in charge of beach chairs and umbrellas, these were his words:
"I am dying to watch the game against France! Unfortunately, I have to stay here and take care of the umbrellas."
Since I was also born in the country of soccer, it didn't take me too long to understand the young man's plight. For Argentines soccer is more than just a sport; it’s their identity as a country. So, I thought about it for a second and then I said:
"Just go. I’ll take care of your umbrellas while I read."
I will not waste time describing the reaction of deep amazement of the young man; what I will mention instead is how a simple encounter like this taught me a precious lesson about the meaning of my life. Let’s forget for a moment about the money we donate because we don’t really need it. For me living a life that makes sense means taking the time to become the refuge that those around us so desperately need. What about the meaning of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS TODAY’S MEANING OF THE WORD LONELINESS?

  Describing old age as the age of loneliness has become a common saying in the times in which we live. It is true that our last life stage ...