The happiness we receive from ourselves is greater than the happiness we obtain from our surroundings. Metrodorus (IV BC)

 

This is how this first disciple of Epicurus pronounced himself in the fourth century BC, and with such a dictum dismantled our tendency to possess money and expensive objects to fill our lives. I often think of Metrodorus while I am driving down a street in the city where I live, and I find myself surrounded by cars whose price is so high that it scares me; although what scares me the most is that surely ninety percent of those drivers complain daily about the situation of the country's economy. Even worse, I am horrified by the example we are setting for our children about what really has value in life. While I always liked to live well, luxury seems harmful instead. However, it was only with the passage of time that I realized where the true treasures of human existence are found. With age I was able to understand that the ability to live with a high degree of morality, generosity, compassion, and respect for all living


beings is what really counts. As the Epicurean philosopher said, only those who day by day, month by month, and year after year have understood that happiness does not depend on what we possess, but on what we give to others can feel at peace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS TODAY’S MEANING OF THE WORD LONELINESS?

  Describing old age as the age of loneliness has become a common saying in the times in which we live. It is true that our last life stage ...