CORONAVIRUS AND OUR NEED FOR MEANING

The corona virus did not only throw the world into a severe medical situation; it also dragged along desperation in hundreds of people’s lives as well as impotence in those who witnessed the destruction and couldn’t do anything to stop it. A friend of mine compared the current world situation to that of a war where our enemy is invisible and unknown. For those of us lucky enough to be able to stay home and just fight loneliness, what to do with our days is our only concern. I for one went back to the books I have written, edited some of them, updated others, and finally opted for a new cover for the rest. For some reason, starting a new book was difficult because I lacked the motivation that always comes to me from what I see in the world around me. As a result, after several weeks of solitary confinement, I decided that I needed to find a new task to lighten up my days. So, I decided to buy a rose bush to place in my balcony; it was something to take care of. The day I went to the plant nursery the weather was exquisite; the days were sunny and the temperature was exactly right. I said to myself that with no wind blowing, the rose bush would do great in its new environment. I knew well that the splendid weather would not last forever; but I said to myself that when a storm would start brewing on the ocean, I always had the option to carry the bush inside. Not a week had passed after my purchase that one night I woke up at three of clock in the morning to the sound of thunder and lightning. I got up and hurried to the balcony to bring the rose bush inside; most of its leaves had fallen and flown away towards the water. Fortunately, the branches were not broken. Then when the storm subsided, I decided that I would leave the rose bush inside, despite the fact that without the sunlight it would probably never bloom. I said to myself that the bush was so beautiful that it would be enough to brighten my days even without roses. Days came and went in the silent solitude of my home, until one morning I woke up earlier than usual. A delicious surprise awaited me near the window. The rose bush had bloomed and its rose was one of the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen. It was born from the plant’s will to carry out its particular task. It was then that I thought that, perhaps, if I looked deep down my soul, I too would find the flower that hides the task of my life.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't that beautiful!! This is the comment i made after i read it to Henry. It is so poetic and as i read every word i was imagining the rose, its color, its smell. It is a very inspiring piece of writing and i dare to say that you have that rose inside you, in your soul.it makes you be a very special woman and friend. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias Marina, siempre un placer leerte!

    ReplyDelete

WHAT IS TODAY’S MEANING OF THE WORD LONELINESS?

  Describing old age as the age of loneliness has become a common saying in the times in which we live. It is true that our last life stage ...