BLESSED SOLITUDE

"I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude."

 ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Last week I went to lunch with two good friends at Seasons 52 in Coral Gables; I like the place and we meet there often. Our conversation was not as pleasant as usual as one of them was recovering from a cataract operation that did not heal well.  As soon as she arrived, I noticed that her mood was not the usual and it did not take long for her to express herself in a rather aggressive way. However, the conversation was pleasant enough until one of them started talking about politics, and me being the only democrat it did not take long for the bullets to hit me. A couple of hours later, driving back home I remembered above Thoreau’s assertion that so beautifully describes the failures of human relationships. Although when we are young, we often overlook them, in old age we have the feeling that this type of encounters are a waste of time. The vast majority of human beings, young but especially not so young, project their unfinished businesses on others instead of owning them and looking for solutions. When I opened the door of my house I was greeted by a welcoming silence; in that space there was no room for empty words. The sunset brightened the landscape with a subdued but deep color which opened its arms to a precious solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS TODAY’S MEANING OF THE WORD LONELINESS?

  Describing old age as the age of loneliness has become a common saying in the times in which we live. It is true that our last life stage ...