LIFE WITHOUT MUSIC WOULD BE A MISTAKE. FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

  Friedrich Nietzsche once stated that without music life would be a mistake. I have   


to admit that it took me a while to understand the real meaning of his quote. Until one day by pure chance I listened to the music of a Mexican composer, Ernesto Cortazar. Although I have always been a fan of classical music, especially Mozart, alone in my house during the COVID outbreak for some reason Mozart was not what I longed to listen to. Perhaps the life stage I am going through needed something different, more in tune with who I had been and who I was. Being divorced and alone due to social distancing, I needed to reconnect to the beginnings of my journey; to that time of my life before all the tests and the trials. The first day I listened to Cortazar I felt like he had composed his music just for me: it spoke to me of the country I had left behind when I was still young, it reminded me of my youth, of my family of origin and of what my life had been before the challenges that came later. Listening to those notes transported me to that place in our heart where we are never alone because we are connected to our starting point. It was then that I understood what Nietzsche meant when he spoke about music making us feel valuable, loved and deserving a meaningful journey. Needless to say, Cortazar has become my daily companion, when I write, when I walk the dog, when I sit in my apartment balcony with a glass of wine. His music helps me understand how my life has traveled the perfect road despite sometimes feeling lost and hopeless. In a few words, music always reminds me of who I am. Definitely, music is a window to transcendence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS TODAY’S MEANING OF THE WORD LONELINESS?

  Describing old age as the age of loneliness has become a common saying in the times in which we live. It is true that our last life stage ...